10/03/2012

Homemade Pumpkin Butter

There is a first time for everything!  As it is fall, a ton of blogs have been sharing pictures and recipes for pumpkin everything.  I have definitely been thinking about pumpkin too much, so when Bret & I were at Houston Garden Center and I saw all the pumpkins I knew it was time...


We got two of each :) 

I followed Oh She Glows roasting instructions for the small pie or sugar pumpkins.  I forgot to oil them, but they came out just fine. 

 
Hollowed and prepped for baking

Seeds saved for future toasting :)



Post bake. Peeling the skins off (it is really easy), and saving the pulp for recipes. 
The Voice was on, and I was in a hurry, so the picture is blurry :/


I roasted a pumpkin once before, in 2006 (college) for a pumpkin pie, but have not been that ambitious since.  That actually was the easy part, now onto new territory.  What to do with the pumpkin puree?

 

Pumpkin Butter! 


Also a recipe from Ange at Oh She Glows.

I adapted it a little based on what I had in the house and halved it because 3.5 cups of pumpkin butter is a bit much. 
  • 2 cups pumpkin
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 3/4 Tbsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 2 Tbsp maple syrup
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • Extra water for blending puree if necessary
First, puree pumpkin and orange juice in blender.  If blending is difficult (and like me, you do not own a super blender) add a little water to help blend.  Also, canned pumpkin will work just fine here I believe, and would allow you to skip the blending step.

Add blend to sauce pan along with all remaining ingredients except vanilla. 


Cooking

Cook on medium-low until you achieve the consistency you desire.  This was tough for me because I had no idea what it should be like.  Because of the extra water, I probably cooked it for 30 minutes stirring occasionally while making dinner.

Remove from heat, add vanilla.  Store in fridge and enjoy!


The morning after

Verdict?  Very tasty!  Bret and I didn't know what to put it on for dessert tonight, so we ended up eating Oreos...oops!

 

This morning I spread it on a bagel with cream cheese for lunch.  My first bite was good ;)


First attempt


Yum!

There is at least four cups of pumpkin left, so hopefully my creative juices have not run out yet.
Possible uses for pumpkin puree...in muffins, pancakes, oatmeal, smoothies, and of course pie!

Photo op for Pumpkin & Pi with the pie pumpkin.  Hahahaha!  I think they were actually more interested in escaping out the back door.


 

Do you have any killer pumpkin recipes I should try?

3 comments:

  1. Hi from Blue Moon Drive. Make apple butter next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have a particularly good recipe? I want to use up the pumpkin butter first. It was excellent in our yogurt last night.

      Delete
  2. I've been wanting to make pumpkin butter too. Yours looks so good!

    ReplyDelete