11/17/2012

First Homemade Veggie Burgers

I can't believe Thanksgiving is next week already.  It just doesn't feel like it should.  Luckily, there have been some other Thanksgiving indicators that have kept me in line:

  1. Work provided a free 20ish # frozen turkey.  I need to find a good way to make this baby,  it's my first whole turkey.  Last year was my first Turkey Day away from the family, but we just baked turkey legs for the two of us.  Hmmm...I wonder if I even have a pan that big!?  Must look into that soon.
  2. Turkey Trot.  The gym at the office held a run/walk during lunch on Thursday for a raffle.  Every lap a person did they would get 1 ticket.  I ran almost 5 miles with 7 laps at 0.7 miles each!  The weather was absolutely perfect for a long run, and I really need to start taking more advantage of my one hour lunch break in the gym or running.  It's almost to hard to run otherwise because it gets dark just after I get home (and will only get worse for the next month).
  3. Blogs like Oh My Veggies that has been providing Thanksgiving recipes all week!  I'm not sure what to make yet, but I need something besides turkey.


Okay, back to the burgers.  A few weekends ago, I tried a very new type of recipe (to me at least).  Homemade Veggie Burgers.  There are a ton of varieties and recipes out there.  This one from Oh She Glows seemed like a good starting place.  There was no pre-cooking involved, just a lot of food processing. 



Ingredients.




All ready for mixing!




Pretty.




Lined up, ready for baking.





Close up.




I tried one on the skillet first to be sure they would stick together and tasted fine.


The recipe also made an extra 3 medium sized patties and two or three more balls not shown. 

My overall thoughts at the time of making these:  very tasty, but kinda time consuming.  I really like the idea of having non-soy veggie burgers some of the time.  They were very tasty even cold; almost like savory breakfast cookies!  I will keep this recipe and probably try others to find one that works best.  The second time I try a recipe usually goes better/easier.


Have a great weekend!!!




2 comments:

  1. we better have a meat option on christmas...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise we will. The office gives away a free ham for Christmas and I am told it is good. I will probably have 10 lbs of leftover turkey too!

      Delete