11/13/2012

Mushroom Quinoa Soup





I have been on a soup kick lately.  With the butternut squash soup a success, I tackled this next recipe from Oh She Glows.  My changes were:
  1. Chicken stock for veg.
  2. Quinoa for millet because I had no idea where to find millet at my HEB.  I think that means it's time to hit up Whole Food or Trader Joes, no?
  3. 1/2 cremini mushrooms and 1/2 presliced button mushrooms.  To save time and $. 
I was originally going to say "my only change was the millet," but then I started remembering everything else! 



Chopping the vegetables was the hardest (most time-consuming) part.



Lots of tears were had from stinging eyes...



Slowly cooked it all down until there was almost no water left from the veggies.  Then added the stock to simmer.



Only source of extra seasoning.  So easy and tasty!  I purchased the Worcestershire sauce specifically for this recipe.  I don't really know what else to use it in except Chex Mix.  Time to host a party, maybe?



As instructed, I separated the soup and blended 1/2 to thicken the broth.  No action shot of the immersion blender this time...




This made a lot of soup, but it was really good and different from our normal routine.  I will be saving this recipe, but I keep wanting to try more and more new recipes, and don't know when I will get back to it again. 



Soup Challenge


I just had a great idea!  I am going to give myself a mini challenge to make one homemade soup a week this Fall/Winter.  Let's say we can average it out because I know there will be busy weeks.  Who's with me?

November Week 1:  Butternut Squash
November Week 2:  Mushroom Quinoa
To Be Continued?



Amazing Race 11/11

  • Such a tease!  I wasn't paying attention to the time and had no idea they were going to do the whole "To Be Continued" thing...
  • Finally! Three excellent challenges. I probably would have picked the library one and just written down the alphabet to keep track of letters and order.  As the national library, it should be in good order, if nothing else.  Luckily for the viewers, most of the teams chose the synchronized swimming.  They all did surprising well too!  I like swimming and can do a flip or two, but I'm not sure about keeping time with it all. 
  • Why did they just ruin 1/3 of the suspense for next week?  We see Ryan "struggling" on a challenge, so Abby & Ryan obviously are not eliminated.
  • Speaking of Abby & Ryan.  Why on earth did they think it was a good idea to run the leg with the Beekman Boys?  They are way faster and seemingly more decisive than the Boys.  I suppose they just assumed they could out run them in the end, but still.  Seemed like an odd decision.


1 comment:

  1. The tastes associated reliable chicken wings studio pizza very
    took pleasure in your very own living room whilst advanced chrome steel Deni Garlic bread Heater.
    Referred to by host the muscle, comedy, mind, appeal, easy tools, you must,
    god's fairly neutral capture brides, herrrs the actual unstoppable incredible. Examine your mayo title for every rice, barley , rye tool. Could be the Cuisinart TOB-155 Toaster A particular Owner? Strain various pretty hot regular faucet water amid that this cups close to 2/3 of the classic cups of length.

    My blog post; oster Toaster Ovens prices

    ReplyDelete